18 March 2012

Patriotism and Pickpocketers

Hello friends,
Happy St. Patricks Day!

So today Christa and I went for a walk in the park where I go running.



While in the park (remember its st patricks day) we came across a ukrainian fair where there was a stage with dancers and lots of tents selling ukrainian things. The dancers were so enthusiastic, energetic, talented, and ranged from about 10 to 30 year old. People here are very passionate about their countries of origin.



Later we tried to find some St. Patricks Day celebrations to attend because we heard that St. Patricks Day was pretty big here.  Plaza de San Martin had some Irish Step Dancers, who we watched for a little while. Then we went to Palermo SOHO for some pizza dinner and a single Guiness to celebrate St. Patrick's Day (the drinking age here is 18 so it was legal). We spent some time people watching. Lots of people in green!



So you are probably wondering about the pickpocketer thing. Well today on our way to Plaza de San Martin there was some shady business going down on the subte. These two guys (probably in their late 20s) came on the subway and started off in the car by us. One of the guys looked a little suspicious and had his hand sort of covered by a coat/bag so that no one could see his hands if he tried to grab something. Luckily Christa and I immediately were like "these guys seem sketch" so subtly rearranged our hands to protect our purses so did not get anything stolen (we walk around here always with a hand on our purses and with everything including our backpacks in front of us so we can see it). Then the sketch guys moved slowly down the car, which was a little weird because usually ppl get on the subte and stay in one place. This lady I think said something to them or gave them a look saying "I know what you are up to" so at the next stop the guys signaled to each other to get off and then they spit into the window of the subte onto the lady (who called them out)'s hair. Christa and I were both like "did that just happen?" pickpocketing is a big and real thing here so we always have to watch our backs (and purses). Pickpocketers target foreigners but that does not mean Argentines are immune to it.


I feel like I am settled in here and enjoying my life doing hw, going for a run in the park, and hanging out with Marta, Ariel, and Christa (and sometimes other friends). Life is good!

1 comment:

  1. I was wondering about the pick pocket phenomena. It always seems as if it is mentioned every time i see the word argentina. i am glad to see that you are smart enough to handle such a situation so well. But then again, i would not expect anything else from you lol ;)

    ReplyDelete